Recipe: Baked Halibut Steaks
Baked halibut steaks topped with tomatoes, zucchini and feta. Put some fish on your dish! When you pop these simple but sensational halibut steaks into the oven, you'll be waiting with baited breath for them to cook.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup minced onions
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp minced fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 halibut steaks (about 6oz/170g each)
- 1/3 cup crumbled light feta cheese (1.3oz/37g)
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, onions and garlic
- Cook and stir until zucchini is tender, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove-from heat and stir in tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
- Rinse fish steaks and pat dry with paper towels.
- Spray a medium baking pan with cooking spray and place fish in pan.
- Spoon tomato-zucchini mixture over each fish steak.
- Top with feta cheese.
- Bake at 450°F for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on thickness of fish.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe Tip: To minimize moisture loss when grilling, baking or sauteing fish, use a relatively high heat and cook the fish for a short time. When you cook fish longer than necessary, the juices and flavors are lost, leaving the fish dry and chewy. Plus, overcooked fish is prone to falling apart.