Recipe: Halibut Cakes with Chipotle Mayo or Homemade Tartar sauce
- 2 lbs. Halibut
- salt & pepper
- 1 lemon
- 2 cup dried breadcrumbs 1cup for mixture
- 1 cup for rolling 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 each red & yellow peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers, to seed or not to seed, want it hotter use seeds
- 2/3 cup of real mayo (I use chipotle mayo)
- 1/2 tsp each salt & fresh ground pepper. 2 cup or more VEG oil for cooking
Chipotle Mayo - 2-4 chipotle's (depending how hot you like it) - 2 cups mayo / blast in blender or hand blender (I use chipotle mayo for Halicake recipe)
Homemade Tartar Sauce:
- 2 dill pickles
- handful bread & butter pickles
- 1 shallot or 1/4 small purple onion all finely chopped!
- Add 3 or so TBSP apple cider vinegar
- squeeze fresh lemon
- 1 cup real mayo
- fresh ground pepper mix to taste
- Want to kick it up a notch can add fresh chopped dill, chopped capers, grated lemon rind, a dash of Dijon mustard.
- 350 Degree oven
- In a baking dish sprinkle salt and pepper on halibut add lemon slices and cover
- Bake for aprox. 30 mins, depending on thickness until done.
- Cool then flake in a large bowl.
- Finely chop Cilantro, green onions, red, yellow a jalapeño peppers.
- Add to bowl also beaten eggs, breadcrumbs and mayo.
- I like to chill cake mixture in fridge before forming mixture into 2-inch balls flatten into cake shape. (I use a cookie dough scoop to form balls) Makes about 24-36 small thick cakes, depending on if you added prawns or crab!
- Then roll in extra bread crumbs, shake off excess.
- HEAT OIL in Large Skillet medium heat (medium towards high heat depending on stove)
- Cook cakes in batches about 2-3 min. a side until golden brown. Drain on cookie rack or paper towel serve hot or let cool put in fridge
Also FREEZES well. I double recipe to freeze. Thaw & Reheat in oven 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes!